Friday, November 7, 2008

Ronaldinho's back!



He's back! Ronaldinho finally looks like he's on his way back to the top of world football. Granted he won the game for Milan in the UEFA Cup against a team unknown to most of the world (Braga), but there is no denying that he is playing much better this season with his new club. Although I didn't watch the game, the reaction of the goalkeeper after Ronaldinho's screamer flew in says it all. Braga deserved a point. Ronaldinho's moment of magic robbed them of it. Not that many of us care. It's good to see Ronaldinho back on form and his winner last night was not unlike this one.



Another last minute winner. Moments like those seemed like an eternity ago as Ronaldinho struggled at Barca for the past two seasons. The good times seem to be back. Hopefully it won't be a flash in the pan. It'll be like WWE, never as good as it was a few years ago. Somehow, you get the feeling that Ronaldinho is here to stay.

Moving onto another Brazilian, have a look at Robinho's fantastic strike below. It's a highlights package so be patient. It's not that long anyway.



I have to admit I was a bit skeptical of how Robinho would fit in at City when he first signed. I thought he had a bit too much talent to fail miserably but there's always the lingering doubt that accompanies South Americans to the Premiership. Brazilians have evolved over the years but Robinho isn't exactly tall and stocky. I'm pleased that I've been proven wrong for now but then again Juan Sebastian Veron promised so much when he first signed for United, especially in Europe. There's still a slight doubt in my mind but for the most part I've gladly accepted that Robinho has settled in nicely in England and with the extensive media coverage of Premiership clubs, I can easily watch one of my favourite players regularly.

On a completely unrelated matter what's up with Werder Bremen? These guys score for fun in the Bundesliga, yet always seem to udnerachieve in Europe. They scored five goals again on the weekend. I think I've seen them do that twice before but I'm a bit lazy to check up on that. What I do know is that they're underachieving in Europe and it's getting to me. Maybe they attack too much for their own good. Whatever it is they need to sort it out. They were expected to qualify from their Champions League group comfortably behind Inter. Instead they find themselves behind Cypriot wildcards Anorthosis and Panathinaikos. I still expect them to qualify but it's won't be a smooth path to the last 16. Anorthosis have proven to be no mugs and Panathinaikos showed what they were capable of by beating Bremen. Should be an interesting end to Group B.

I just previewed the layout of this post and I have to say the preview picture of the first video of Ronaldinho fits in perfectly with the title. RONALDINHO 80. Brilliant. Of course should you choose to watch it, the artistic nature of it will disappear. However, it is a sacrifice worth making. When did anyone prefer looking at a picture as opposed to a video?

1 comment:

Joel said...

sighs.
man united.
oh well.

anyway i was in the same boat as you regarding robinho.
i didn't think he'd make the cut.
but i suppose that's what you call class.

some thing kleberson and veron, as good as they were elsewhere, did not have.