Monday, August 11, 2008

Did you see that?

Wow! What great penalties. Portsmouth will probably do better at a shootout next time they face one. Jermain Defoe's penalty was the only successful conversion and even that wasn't a convincing effort. Lassana Diarra and Glen Johnson were guilty of some truly horrific Beckham-esque penalties (I still hold the man in high regard. It's just a shame he had to miss the important ones!) and essentially gifted the Community Shield to Man Utd.

I don't have satellite television, being the poor soul that I am. I resort to reading reports and watching YouTube highlights so forgive me for not going in depth into matches as I probably won't have watched it. I watched the shootout though and from what I heard, United completely dominated, created the better chances and squandered them, one after another. Only another reminder to Fergie that we'll need a striker. Fast. Anyone who we've been linked to in the papers will do nicely. Berbatov, Villa, Huntelaar, hey even Henry looks attractive right now! Sure he might be past it but I'd like to see that particular move come off just to see what Arsenal fans would make of it. It won't happen but imagine if it did! Either way Fergie has acknowledged the need and is no doubt working on it.

I have two uni assignments to do and as much as I'd like to be writing more about football, I have to write on subjects on which I have half the understanding and motivation for. A big Premiership preview for my next post! Well it depends how I feel on Friday....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yup! Looked to me like schoolkids, overawed by the atmosphere and Van der Sar's intimidation tactics. Good for him and MU.

Game wise you didn't miss much. Apart from the performances of Carlos Teves and David James the rest were mediocre. We'll just blame that on the event being the curtain raiser of better things to come.

Hopefully!

P/S You are welcome to watch EPL anytime at my place.

Eddie G